RE: [ga] Who speaks for the ALAC?

Well said. I would add to that, it is inconceivable that an empowered At
Large organization would want to harm the provider side of industry, since
it's obvious the user *enjoys* the services they receive (in the main), and
wants to see it thrive, yet there seems to be a fundamental mistrust on the
provider side, that strives to eliminate meaningful AL participation in any
form of internet governance.

While the user looks to providers for new and innovative ways to improve the
quality of their internet experience, the providers respond by imposing
limits on the user's rights to participate in that process. For an
interested user, this has been an extremely frustrating and unsatisfactory
process over several years. No wonder there are so few people interested in
joining yet another puppet show performance over at the ALAC.

Yet this very same ALAC could have been an improvement if not for the fact
it has been turned upside down. Instead of bringing pressure to bear on the
Board to enforce the Agreements that ICANN enters into purportedly on the
users behalf (which would actually be useful), the ALAC is there to help
providers enforce limitations from the top down onto Internet User
participation in the regulatory and governance process, keeping it at a
level consistent with ICANN Staff thinking, which means nowhere near the
level where meaningful influence over policy decisions can actually be
gained.  This has not stopped the ALAC toings and froings, but equally it
has not convinced anyone that it is actually doing what it is says it is
doing, and so it seems as if the penny has finally dropped.

Most individual participants that have followed the AL movement on it's
downhill journey over the years, would have to be completely blind not to
have noticed the ALAC has reached a new low from the user perspective, hence
the smart money has gone elsewhere and finally, loyal ICANN users have
started to seek out external solutions that route around the ICANN problem.
The inclusive roots and ccTLDs have renewed appeal for many. So, let's be
honest about this. ICANN should trash the At Large concept completely and
carry on as the trade body it always should have been. You'll do just fine.
We'll do just fine. ICANN is just old, so it's time for a smarter, cheaper,
faster partner, or maybe no partner at all. To borrow from Vint Cerf, "Let's
take it outside".

Regards,
Joanna