Re: [ga] Developing an alternative to ICANN 2.0

Richard Henderson wrote:

>I think ICANN 2.0 perceives itself as well on the way to consolidating its
>positions. Its strategy with regard to the inclusive namespace is probably
>to overwhelm it and to duplicate some of its key operating tlds.

Few days ago I started commenting on this post, but then I realized I was
reproposing the old debate "single root - multiple root", about which I
believe everything has been said already in the years.

However, the opening sentence of Richard made me think about where we are in
the process of ICANN 2.0, and do we really have an ICANN 2.0.

We are on the eve of a major election/nomination of the ICANN BoD. This is
supposed to be an event that will deeply influence the Internet policy in
the years to come, as a large number of Directors is involved.
However, I don't feel the tension that I have experienced at the times of
the selection of the initial BoD. The hectic horse-trading, the circulation
of names of candidates, the intense phone calling, the gossip on the lists,
the cross-vetos, and so on, is not there.
Maybe I'm just now less attentive, or simply not so much in contact with the
decision-makers. Of course the nominating committee is probably being
flodded right now by email, phone calls, letters and what else by more or
less influent people recommending candidates. But the general feeling is,
looking on the low traffic about the subject on the public lists, that the
interest is generally lower than at the time of the first BoD.

The reason, IMHO, is that the stakes are lower.
I'm not sure whether ICANN has established itself or not, but I am sure that
some of the critical decisions have been taken. And together with this, the
economic situation has dramatically changed from years ago. Consider the
following examples (please be aware that I am not passing judgement on
things or on somebody else's position, I only try to explain what I observe
from the fence where I am sitting now).
* The NSi monopoly issue has been put at rest, with the trading of .org in
exchange of the burial of the principle of the Registrar/Registry
separation. This decision cannot reasonably be changed in the future,
whatever the composition and attitude of the Directors.
* New gTLDs have been introduced, but no dramatic change of the global
picture is to be seen. I don't see any new actor making easy billions as
seemed to be the forecast years ago. The new Board will probably only
continue a careful introduction of new TLDs, following the recent
recommendation of the GNSO.
* dotcoms have collapsed in thousands, and Telcos have other bigger problems
than risking huge monies in DNS, with ROI seriously doubtful at this point
in time. I remember discussions I had in Montevideo with my former Telcos
colleagues on the situation, and that was on the eve of 9/11. When we all
came back home, most of us travelling the very 9/11, we found a different
world, and the little optimism that some might have had on a quick recovery
had disappeared.
* UDRP is an established fact (although the regular courts obviously have
the last word on the issues). This process is also unlikely to be changed,
and with it the other landmark for introduction of TLDs, namely the
diversification of business models, policies, attitude towards trademark.
This is gone forever, whatever the composition of the future Board.
* The worry of the IAB, and of large part of the commoners in IETF, that
some Internet-illitterate people could take over and destroy the Internet,
has not materialized. The PSO has been able to dissolve itself easily,
without danger of leaving ICANN without a strong supporter of the technical
lobby. Besides, at least two of the signatories of the PSO-MoU were seen
anyhow by the purists as an element of dilution of the technical backbone,
more prone to industrial or governmental interests rather than to pure
technology.

So, what is the real open issue? What is the real interest at stake in the
next years? What are the foreseeable developments, dangers, mission, that
the oncoming board has to deal with?
To answer this, I would suggest to go back in time to the ICANN meeting
(Yokohama, but I might be wrong) where two major players, Paul Twomey and
Christopher Wilkinson, stood up to state that ICANN could not be ruled only
by business interests: if that was happening (continuing?), governments
would have to step in. Interestingly enough, Paul is now ICANN's CEO, while
Christopher is non-voting member of the NomCom.
So, what does this mean? I would expect an ICANN BoD that will have some
representation of the "public" interest, the users, the registrants, the
individuals. Not to the extent of constituting a block that can be tempted
to fight against other lobbies, but still a non-negligeable presence that
will "legitimize" ICANN in the eyes of the laymen. Of course, the next
consequence is that the voice of the AtLarge will be seeked and organized.
Whether the masses are ready and willing to invest time and resources in
participating to the ICANN process, that's another question, of which the
answer is unknown to people without cristal ball. Ant that is the real bet
and challenge: to move from the abstract declaration of principle of the
need for individual stakeholder representation to the concrete work to make
this representation a reality. I think that ICANN will remove the opposition
it had (not in principle, but in the facts that rendered individual
participation difficult and marginal), and that the page can be turned. Will
we be able to grab the opportunity?

In other words, I'm moderately optimistic. Anyway, I guess in Montreal at
the latest we will know...

Regards
Roberto