[ga] Domains are not the equivalent of DNS.

<cc: universe trimmed>

> So warehousing is simply a function of using your IP
> addresses for the
> wrong reason.

Eric - would it surprise you to learn that there are several registrars
that do not assign IP addresses to registrants in any way shape or form?
The connection that seems so obvious to you does not actually exist in a
meaningful way.

Domains are not the equivalent of DNS, they are but one component of the
domain name system.

This is where, dare I digress, those that point out that ENUM is not a
question that falls within ICANN's scope of responsibility are wrong.

Domains are a way of mapping alpha-numeric labels to hosts/endpoints
(x). DNS is the resolution mechanism (y).
ENUM is a way of mapping numeric labels to hosts/endpoints (z). DNS is
the resolution mechanism.
(x+2y+z) = the domain name system (for as long as x and z remain
dependent on y.)

ICANN's mandate, at least as I understand it is specifically concerned
with the domain name system and less about the specifics of DNS or
domain names - and we are rightly concerned with anything that attempts
to map to that system.

                       -rwr

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
idiot."
- Steven Wright

Get Blog... http://www.byte.org/