RE: The telephone network and the internet (RE: [ga] ALAC comment s on proposed Bylaws modifications)

Dear richard - i think i'm falling in love - some civil servants appeal to
my better half.  ... so let us proceed ... seems to me unlike some of the
civil service snot around here you pay attention.  and thats rare to find
in the bureacracy.  thanks for the refresher - now on to the questions at
hand.

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 richard.hill@itu.int wrote:

> > Richard - may i make a recommendation to you.  To remain relevant in
> > cyberspace you can't put up roadblocks to propaganda.  The
> > only people who
> > are going to be interested in it are indeed very small in
> > number.  If you
> > want to be relevant to the internet community then you make your stuff
> > free.
>
> Our publication policy is set by our membership (that is, consensus of
> Member States and Sector Members), not by the ITU staff.

well that explains the nonsense.  governments are idiots when it come to
net policy.  the internet as i have repeatedly pointed out is controlled
at the ends.  that is at user level.  i think we all know the icann policy
of hyping the dns to the status of religious iconolgy is a ficticious bit
of bull.

so to appeal to users is the goal.  the users power in all of this has
remained a silent issue.  it is the users that you need to sell.

now - i'm pleased to see the itu is trying to sell us on the great itu
icann takeover.  it will be a disaster if it is not user driven.  the
powers that be must realize that the scales of power and control of espace
can not ever be the same as that one gets in meat space.  existing
meanspace is finite - i.e. that third planet called earth - unless of
course the stars become our goal.  but for all practical purposes it is
finite.  and finite systems are easy to control.

however espace is infinite and trasparent to time.  data accumulates etc.
etc. etc.  and espace is only limited by the numbers of bits and bytes one
can fit on the head of a pin.  which essentially means an entire universe
can be created on the head of a pin.  namespace is part if the process of
creating that expansion - what icann has done is crazy.  it has been the
propagation of a false monopoly and the creation of a false scarcity of
names at the top level.  thats the biggest nonsense i have ever seen in my
whole life.  watching bureacrats limiting namespace and the bullshit that
results.  fallout.  and lots of it.  i think the itu is in an excellent
place to take over icann - but without user support those governments are
going to look like fools.  namespace is what i like to call a pandoras
box.  once opened your guranteed the icann yellow brick road treatment -
unless you can get the users on your side.

and itu policies as they exist do not allow joe average users or mrs.
nobody to participate - and it should be at no cost.  if the itu wants to
run namespace you better get ready to subsidize user participation - or
you'll end up as relevant and laughable as icann.  namespace has ruined
reputaions - look at an excellent disaster - the dyson critter.  she went
from guru to big booboo real fast.  the same treatment is guranteed of the
itu if it ddoes not cover it's ass and vbring the users in.

internet governance starts at the user level.  anyone wanting to
centralize it is gurantted a kick in the ass.

and the itu can do this with simple user permission and participation.
icanns control of the root does not exist.  the root server operators will
bend to the way of the community.  and those legacy roots must be replace.
look at the data from caida and see for yourself.  caida is funded by the
spooks at darpa FYI - which see

> I will pass your suggestion (which has arisen before) to the members with
> whom I'm in touch.

you do that.  also pass along a kick to each head - maybe their brain
jiuce will coagulate fast enought to respond to immediate needs.  this
windows for the itu to take action will not last forever.  you need to
actu quickly and become an inclusive - or create an inclusive internation
organization of users - as equals.  commercial - non profit or state are
equals.

but i doubt the memberstates will be appropriately responsive and the
result will be failure if you try the icann takeover.

> > This policy is one of those dino affairs.  Obvioulsy the ITU is run by
> > professional bureacrats
>
> As mentioned above, the publication policy is set by the membership, not the
> staff.

my appologies to the staff.  the blame is best left at the foot of
governments.

regards
joe baptista

Joe Baptista - only at www.baptista.god

          .film domain registration available at http://www.register.film
             another inclusive namespace Top Level Domain