Re: [ga] ALAC comments on proposed Bylaws modifications

Thomas and all former DNSO GA members or other interested parties,

  Thomas, I am not clear or sure as to what you or the language
you provided below, the term "Feasible" is in this context.
Can you define "Feasible" in the context of the RALO suggestion?
Will the term "Feasible" be defined in the context of the RALO
suggestion's language?  If not, than any interpretation of what IS
Feasible is a matter of Subjective determination, and therefore
can change from time to time in fairly rapid sequence to fit
any persons determination of what is Feasible.

Thomas Roessler wrote:

> On 2003-02-27 23:52:30 -0500, Joanna Lane wrote:
>
> > Language that appeared in the original draft is now missing from
> > the adopted version, including "They shall ensure that At-Large
> > Structures appropriately represent and involve individual
> > Internet users who are citizens or residents of the RALO's
> > geographical region. "
> >
> > Instead, we have this:- "If so provided by its Memorandum of Understanding
> > with ICANN, a RALO may also include individual Internet users who are
> > citizens or residents of countries within the RALO's Geographic Region."
>
> You may wish to look at the revised paragraph (i): "The criteria and
> standards for the certification of At-Large Structures shall be
> established in such a way that participation by individual Internet
> users who are citizens or residents of countries within the
> Geographic Region (...) will predominate in the operation of each
> At-Large structure within the RALO." The language then goes on to
> talk about RALOs being inclusive of all individual Internet users in
> a given region to the extent feasible -- but you quote that.
>
> > There is not even any comfort in the subsequent clause, "Each
> > RALO's Memorandum of Understanding shall also include provisions
> > designed to allow, to the greatest extent possible, every
> > individual Internet user who is a citizen of a country within the
> > RALO's Geographic Region to participate in at least one of the
> > RALO's At-Large Structures." Does the phrase, "to the greatest
> > extent possible" sound familiar?  It should. This carries as much
> > weight as ICANN's now infamous commitment to operating in an open
> > and transparent manner, "to the maximum extent feasible", which
> > as we all know, has been shrouded in secrecy and back room
> > dealing for years.
>
> Do you want to do things beyond the extent of what's feasible?  I
> think that this is commonly referred to as "magical thinking"....
> ;-)
>
> Regards,
> --
> Thomas Roessler                         <roessler@does-not-exist.org>

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801