Re: [ga] ALAC comments on proposed Bylaws modifications

On 2003-02-27 23:52:30 -0500, Joanna Lane wrote:

> Language that appeared in the original draft is now missing from
> the adopted version, including "They shall ensure that At-Large
> Structures appropriately represent and involve individual
> Internet users who are citizens or residents of the RALO's
> geographical region. "
>
> Instead, we have this:- "If so provided by its Memorandum of Understanding
> with ICANN, a RALO may also include individual Internet users who are
> citizens or residents of countries within the RALO's Geographic Region."

You may wish to look at the revised paragraph (i): "The criteria and
standards for the certification of At-Large Structures shall be
established in such a way that participation by individual Internet
users who are citizens or residents of countries within the
Geographic Region (...) will predominate in the operation of each
At-Large structure within the RALO." The language then goes on to
talk about RALOs being inclusive of all individual Internet users in
a given region to the extent feasible -- but you quote that.

> There is not even any comfort in the subsequent clause, "Each
> RALO's Memorandum of Understanding shall also include provisions
> designed to allow, to the greatest extent possible, every
> individual Internet user who is a citizen of a country within the
> RALO's Geographic Region to participate in at least one of the
> RALO's At-Large Structures." Does the phrase, "to the greatest
> extent possible" sound familiar?  It should. This carries as much
> weight as ICANN's now infamous commitment to operating in an open
> and transparent manner, "to the maximum extent feasible", which
> as we all know, has been shrouded in secrecy and back room
> dealing for years.

Do you want to do things beyond the extent of what's feasible?  I
think that this is commonly referred to as "magical thinking"....
;-)

Thomas Roessler				<roessler@does-not-exist.org>