[ga] Five-year policy implementation cycle

Dear Louis,

I appreciate the fact that last October you took it upon yourself to draft a
Briefing Concerning Implementation of Policies by Registrars and Registry
Operators.  I was reminded of that document while listening to your comments
in the recent GNSO Council session during which you stated that some policy
changes might only be amenable to being phased in via the process of
individual Registrar contract renewal (which could take up to 5 years).

In my view, that would not accord well with the concept of a "nimble" private
coordinating entity.  Further, if major issues that affect registrants (such
as transfers) aren't managed in a timely fashion owing to the nuances of the
current contractual environment, public confidence in the ICANN process is
sure to erode to the detriment of all participants.

At this time, could we ask you to consider preparing an additional briefing
specifying which implementational details, in your view, will necessitate
using the registrar contract renewal mechanism?

Thanks,
Danny Younger