Re: [ga] Re: Privacy Working Group

On 00:25 22/02/03, Joop Teernstra said:
>At 11:38 p.m. 21/02/2003, vinton g. cerf wrote:
>>I am always open to constructive dialog :-)
>
>But you also like your Board predictable. :-)

Not necessarily. The point is to speak their language. Some of them are
culturally very ahead, some are outdated and a few are out of the picture.
And may be one or two are out for political hunting (ask the NTIA if they
are happy about the renewal). ICANN is a US private agency to manage the
Legacy inherited from the 1984 "inter netting" (cf. ICP-3/RFC 920).

Do not forget the duality: "private" and "US agency". And the law: 47 USC
230 (f)(1) whch tells their leading cultural understanding. You want to
incorporate in Tonga which is the way you see the world wide net, they are
incorporated in California, USA, which is the way they see the global net.

Vint, IMHO the wrong word is "dialog". It says all. The word for a
distributed network is "polylog". This is where there is a cultural gap.
The word "global" in American translates into "a dialog between me and the
rest of the globe", while in English/French it translates into "a polylog
among the members of the globe, including me". This confusion is everywhere
nowadays and does not help much to understand each others. Millions may die
from that, says the UN

Louis Touton wants IANA to be the Internet Pope, fine: I am OK with this.
But let Louis be a Roman Catholic first, and understand how a network may
last 2.000 years. The Pope is the servant of the servants of the people.
The day ICANN is the servant of the TLDs Managers themselves the servants
of the users, there will be no problem anymore, even with Joop. Please
reread Jon Postel's RFC 920. He does not use "servant of the people": he
uses "trustee of the registrants". But the idea is the same. Nothing new
under the sun. And if you do not like the Pope, look at the way Alexander,
Ramses II,  Caesar, Napoleon or Victoria managed their empire. Subsidiarity
is the way, ie the concerted respect of the other's duties to others. Add
capillarity, making that others innumerable, and you will have internet.

Obviously, there is a technical problem: TCP/IP only permits concertation
(European meaning) through layer violation, what creates a
technico/cultural unbalance we see everywhere: patches instead of harmony.

But, may be, will you find a solution sometimes.
jfc