[ga] UDRP Decisions Not Arbitrations Under FAA

There was a thread last month regarding the argument over whether the UDRP
consituted 'arbitration' as defined by the FAA.  The following is a timely
decision that precisely addresses this issue.  Following that is part of
the text of the relevant thread from January of this year.

Leah

3RD CIRCUIT RULES UDRP DECISIONS NOT ARBITRATIONS UNDER FAA
The 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled that ICANN UDRP
decisions are not entitled to "extremely deferential" review
in the federal courts since UDRP cases do not fall under the
Federal Arbitration Act.
http://caselaw.findlaw.com/data2/circs/3rd/013713p.pdf

(text from former thread)

> I stick by the simple, non-US law-based definitino of
> arbitration.

You can do that, of course, but in the UDRP rules it is still considered
to be an "administrative procedure" and forced upon so-called
participants.  Using an academinc definition doesn't change the fact or
the rules.  Courts are under no obligation to refer to or use the
decisions made by UDRP panelists.  Many do not consider them at all.

> (from Cambridge International Dictionary of English)
>
> arbitrate
> verb
> to make a judgment in (an argument), usually because
> asked to do so by those involved
>
> arbitration
> noun [U]
> to have the disagreement solved by an outside person
> who has been chosen by both sides
>
> arbitrator
> noun [C]
> An arbitrator is a person whose official role is to
> make a decision between two people or groups who do
> not agree.
>
> The real-world effects of a UDRP decision in the case
> of transfer are dramatic.  UDRP participants manifest
> consent when registering a domain name and by not
> choosing to go to national courts.

In a contract of adhesion, yes.  Hopefully that will change. One cannot,
at this time, register a domain under the ICANN system without agreeing to

UDRP, so this is forced or consent under duress.  It is certainly not
voluntary if one wishes to have an internet presence in the USG root.