Re: [ga] The Vixie Root

On Tuesday 11 February 2003, at 16 h 47,
Marc Schneiders <marc@fuchsia.bijt.net> wrote:

> A similar announcement last month, that there will be a copy in Spain
> of f.root also, went unnoticed, I think.
> I am very curious what ICANN thinks about this and how the DoC feels.

I completely share Karl Auerbach's analysis about this issue: ICANN claims to be concerned about the stability of the Internet while it shows a complete lack of interest for any operational issue (and, when it does, it produces texts like <URL:http://www.iana.org/faqs/tld-zone-access-faq.htm> that are technically ridiculous).

Do note that ISC is not the only body to work on anycasting the root name servers (so your subject is misleading). On the contrary, anycasting is a very hot subject. RIPE does it, too <URL:http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-268.html>.

AFAIK, none of the planned replicas is actually active yet, but it is a matter of weeks.

For those interested by the technical side:

http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0302/anycast.html
RFC 1546
RFC 3258