[ga] Re: FC: Jeff Pulver: Net telephony is under attack from regulators

Jeff, Declan and all,

  I found it interesting that the next naruc meeting being held
in D.C.  only has one sponsor, Goldman Sachs...

  We will be contacting our folks regarding their attendance
to this meeting, as well as Goldman individuals, regarding
the interesting information you provided Jeff.  Thank you for the
heads up...

  As you may know Jeff, Nanpa is administered by NeuStar Inc.
which is one of several government contractors of ICANN and
also administrator of Nuelevel, and the .US cctld.  Recently
Mr. Jeff Nueman, has been under some duress regarding
the operation of the .BIZ geld under contract to ICANN
and DOC/NTIA...

Declan McCullagh wrote:

> [If I understand Jeff's message, here we see yet another example of two
> technologies being subject to different regulations, creating a competitive
> advantage for one and an unstable situation in general. The solution is to
> equalize the amount of regulation (or, in this case, someting akin to
> taxation). But since eliminating a regulatory regime would mean cutting off
> "free" money flowing to schools and libraries -- not exactly politically
> palatable -- we're seeing Internert telephony targeted instead with more
> regulation/taxation. Think of it as a full employment guarantee for
> everyone at the FCC for the foreseeable future. --Declan]
>
> ---
>
> Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 23:37:13 -0500 (EST)
> From: Jeff Pulver <jeff@pulver.com>
> To: Declan Mccullagh <declan@well.com>
> Subject: VoIP is Under Attack [again] in the United States
>
> Declan:
>
> Back in November the IP Communications Industry had issues with the way
> the NANPA ( http://www.nanpa.com ) North American Numbering Plan
> Administration, was approaching VoIP. While the folks at NANPA are
> still working on their approach to VoIP, those of us who are
> living in the United States who care about IP Communications now have a
> much more immediate problem, the National Association of Regulatory
> Utility Commissioners NARUC ( http://www.naruc.org ) and their 2003 Winter
> Meetings ( http://www.naruc.org/Meetings/winter/2003/index.htm )taking
> place Feb 22-26.
>
> NARUC already has a strong anti-VOIP resolution set to go through their
> voting process next Sunday.  I've posted a draft copy that I've recently
> received as word document to: ( http://pulver.com/reports/naruc1b.doc )
> [ this was received on February 15th. ]
>
> If the NARUC resolution gets passed it will create unnecessary taxes and
> crippling administrative burden on the Internet and in fact would mark a
> real dark day for IP Communications in the United States. Together we need
> to counter lobbyist scaremongering by explaining to state commissioners
> that internet connections must not be burdened with crippling
> administration.
>
> The commissioners are worried that an explosion of internet calls could
> threaten the Universal Service Fund. The reality is that it will be many
> years before the volume of calls diverted is enough to affect service
> funds, giving plenty of time to find a well-thought out response. The move
> for immediate action is an attempt by some to stifle future internet
> choices hidden in some legitimate concerns.
>
> People can find your State Commissioners email at
> ( www.naruc.org/resources/state.shtml ). I'm hoping to encorage people
> to use their own words and to send email to their respective State
> Commissioners. I've posted a sample letter to:
> ( http://pulver.com/reports/narucletter.html ). People can freely take
> from my draft letter, although people should use their your own words and
> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801