Re: [ga] whois.txt, ala robots.txt, as a standard ?

Marc and all former DNSO GA members or other interested parties,

  As you should know of may recall Marc, the Calif. Supreme court
is to hear a case to perhaps determine if a Domain Name is actually
owned by the registrant.  I posted that case filing on this very
forum some time ago.  I believe the arguments are to be heard
later this month.

  There is no need for a piece of paper to show ownership of a stock
so why is or should there need or seem to need to be a piece of paper
to show ownership or registration of a Domain Name?  None!

  The problem here is showing who registered or is the registrant of
record is a non-problem itself.  Rather the personal data such as
their home address, and phone # are not needed and are a potential
violation of their personal privacy as well as security.

Marc Schneiders wrote:

> An aspect of whois that, I think, is often neglected, is the sense of
> security of 'ownership' that it gives the registrant. The domain name
> industry is a fully online business. As a registrant you don't get a piece
> of paper to prove that you have some rights in a domain. Registrants will
> start asking about that, if there is no public whois to prove who holds
> the domain. Of course this problem (if it is one) can be solved by
> attaching this feeling of ownership to the password to log in to change
> nameservers, and perhaps an optional whois, for those who want their
> details in there.
>
> And if it is optional all the accuracy problems we are dealing with
> disappear :-)

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801