Re: [ga] whois.txt, ala robots.txt, as a standard ?

As you know, Jeff, the Internet technical development is carried by
lawyers. This is the big lesson of ICANN. IETF did not analyze what a
domain name is and document it, so lawyers are trying.

The leading thinking at IETF (from the Congress collectively developed
network technology) is "internetting". As Vint Cerf and Bob Khan reminded
us a few week ago that US Gov's "internetting" prevailed over the French
Louis Pouzin's and Inria (French Gov Labs) conception of "Catenet". The
whole issue (names, ICANN, etc.) rrot there.

- Internetting is a mutual *access* concept (one to one among many): there
is no network middleware as such. This is a (n inter)connexion thinking.

- Catenetting was to chain all the different network systems into a single
continuity (you could receive datagrams on many different IP addresses on
the same machine/system and concatenate them into a single flow). Together
with some BBN people who shared in Internet and Inria, this rooted the OSI
thinking  It was a communication thinking.

A typical example is what IETF names OPES (draft accepted yesterday as an
RFC. Example: the web page the server sends to you uses gif files, but the
OPES can replace them with jpeg). IETF thinks of them as "Pluggable Edge
Services". OSI has not worked on them, but documented where they should be
at the core of the network (cf. X.400). Tymnet called them Network Extended
Services, buried in the network user's relations servicing continuity
(Tymnet Extended Services was a relations thinking).

What all this means in term of domain names?

- Congress' technology considers the domain name as an expandable regstrant
side access tool (you can lose it, transfer it and renew it). This supports
the ICANN commercial thinking, Verisign, Registrars, etc.

- oher technologies consider the domain name as an alphanumeric pointer
relating the user's mnemonic way to cal the registrant to the current site
IP address. So it is a sotfware class both inheriting from the the mnemonic
brainwaire class (free, life long, privacy protected, owned by the holder)
and from the IP address hardware class (can be changed, may be charged,
technolgy dependent). Your Judge will replace the IETF which has declared
itself incompetent in brainware: will he be competent enough in hardware
and software?

Just remember the simple three (and not two) steps action yours if you want
to access IBM on the net.

1. brainware: your brain tries to resolve the mnemonic "IBM" into IBM.com,
IBM.net IBM.us and then go to Goggle.
2. sofwtare: the DNS resolves "IBM.com" into an IP address.
3. hardware: the IP address resolves into a MAC on the machine .

Anyone, "lawyer or/and technician", can understand this; if not prevented
by a life long and legal confusion between netting and internetting.

Another way to understand this is to consider the OSI model and the TCP/IP
model: there is no "protocol stack" as such: the lower layers are the same;
the upper layers difference only show whatis specificly network dependent.

The internetting being also used as a network system, this buries the
netting within the end user system (and Windows 2005 will burry them very
very deep into the "data storage part", trying to keep control as much as
they can through the "standards" - the ICANN DNS). This is why if you want
to stay consistent with OSI layers and to extend them to the upper layers
(interapplication, assistancy, user/communities; structures, society) you
have to rethink the user's system architecture.

But then you discover you do not need any root anymore, nor Windows 2005,
and you become a "nethilist :-).

jfc