RE: [ga] whois.txt, ala robots.txt, as a standard ?

An aspect of whois that, I think, is often neglected, is the sense of
security of 'ownership' that it gives the registrant. The domain name
industry is a fully online business. As a registrant you don't get a piece
of paper to prove that you have some rights in a domain. Registrants will
start asking about that, if there is no public whois to prove who holds
the domain. Of course this problem (if it is one) can be solved by
attaching this feeling of ownership to the password to log in to change
nameservers, and perhaps an optional whois, for those who want their
details in there.

And if it is optional all the accuracy problems we are dealing with
disappear :-)