RE: [ga] whois.txt, ala robots.txt, as a standard ?

On 20:57 04/02/03, George Kirikos said:
>Hi Steven,
>--- Steven Heath <Steven.Heath@Optimation.co.nz> wrote:
> > > and a thought came to mind. Just as there is a "robots.txt"
> > standard
> > > for webcrawlers like Google, how about having a whois.txt standard
> > > that folks can optionally use on their websites?
> >
> > Interesting yet flawed idea.
>
>I'm glad you found it interesting. :) Just to be clear, I didn't want
>it to be a *replacement* of the existing WHOIS -- just perhaps an
>add-on, to those who want to provide more details that can't fit in
>existing WHOIS, etc. i.e. an enhanced contact system....

This is the old http://quiest.net concept we promoted for a long
and will implement soon in an application. There is more in this
that what you say.

1. we support the idea that domain names must be free and
    life long because they link (through IP addresses) mnemonics
    which are free to life long applications which may be free.

    In that economy there is no money left for the whois and there
    is noway for anyone to know what is anymore true.

2. the whois is actually accessed through HTTP by the users.
     so it is fallacious to use that "domain names are more
     than http related": they are at least whois/http related today.

     The QuiEst approach only makes the users to bear the cost
     and the responsibility of managing their own "WHOIS" page
     on an at least one page site (the address being
     http://quiest.domain.name it can be at a different site. So there
     is NO difference with the WHOIS, except that it is managed
     by the user, free format, legal, cheap to everyone, useful)

3. The WHOIS system creates a lot of legal issues because
     it is maintained by a third party. In the case of the QuiEst
     the http://quiest... file is maintained by the owner as a public
     file known to be looked by others to get informations. This
     makes it subject to the existing laws in every countries.

4. The QuiEst advantage is that you build your own page and
     can put many more information if you so wish. Also you
     can format it the way you want and put in here infos for
     the search engines, etc. and you can put your mail name
     as a gif or a jpeg file the spiders will not read. But that
     any tech-support will read.

You do not necessarily have to improve a mistake because
you use to do it, you can also change to a right thing. This
is something diffcult to accept, but after you feel better.

JFC

PS in case you do not grasp the French: "QuiEst" stands
for "Who Is" in Latin: a universal language for an universal
right; the right to introduce oneself by oneself.