RE: [ga] whois.txt, ala robots.txt, as a standard ?

> and a thought came to mind. Just as there is a "robots.txt" standard
> for webcrawlers like Google, how about having a whois.txt standard that
> folks can optionally use on their websites?

Interesting yet flawed idea.

We all know on this list (as we can hardly call it an assembly now can we)
that the domain names are more than HTTP related.

Domain names and all resulting detail that are called 'whois data' MUST be
application or protocol neutral.

The interesting thing about whois is that in New Zealand I can get full
details on any company that is incorporated under NZ law. For instance just
to pick on Joop and DPF (as they are both directors of NZ companies) I can
get their:

	full names (including middle name)
	personal address
	company address
	electronic copy of their signature

all for this and more for FREE and under 1 minute (1 search screen and then
two clicks)

This is by going to a NZ government run website. Oh, and I do not have to
reveal anything about myself to get this data.

Lets define what we are trying to achieve with whois data, then decide how
to implement it.

Steven Heath
www.nznews.org.nz