Re: [ga] whois.txt, ala robots.txt, as a standard ?

George and all former DNSO GA members or other interested parties,

  Indeed this is an odd suggestion in this report as you rightly point out
George.  Many other parts of this report seem to be at odds with
the public comments submitted as well.  I for one cannot figure
out where in hell such a report could have come out of the
already known and documented comments/suggestions and
presentations submitted.

George Kirikos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was reading through the latest WHOIS task force updates, at:
>
> http://does-not-exist.net/final-report/final-report-feb03-030201v0.html
>
> and a thought came to mind. Just as there is a "robots.txt" standard
> for webcrawlers like Google, how about having a whois.txt standard that
> folks can optionally use on their websites?
>
> For those who don't want to put in anything beyond the standard WHOIS
> output (i.e. for privacy, or to avoid spam), they can leave a blank
> whois.txt on their website or omit it entirely. For those who want
> "enhanced" contact details, and want to be easily found, they can
> supplement what's already in the standard WHOIS.
>
> For instance, they can provide additional contacts, WHOIS in different
> languages, contact info for various countries, etc. This can also
> assist in the goal of WHOIS accuracy -- in case the registrant is
> unable to be reached from their existing WHOIS info, the registrar can
> try the info in their (by default) http://www.example.com/whois.txt
>
> Perhaps someone clever can even think of an XML format or something for
> this enhanced WHOIS, to allow standard tools (like other WHOIS servers,
> such as www.betterwhois.com or www.uwhois.com, etc.) to parse it. Folks
> like Alexa, for example, who already supply contact details at:
>
> http://www.alexa.com/data/details?url=icann.org
>
> (type a different URL, to see if that domain's contact info is correct)
> can crawl the web to get the contacts automatically, instead of mining
> the WHOIS, optionally for those who want to be found easily.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> George Kirikos
> http://www.kirikos.com/

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801