From: JFC (Jefsey) Morfin [mailto:jefsey@jefsey.com]
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2002 4:30 PM
To: Jonathan Cohen; Jim Fleming; vinton.g.cerf@WCOM.COM;
apisan@servidor.unam.mx; Amadeu@nominalia.com; karl@cavebear.com;
k13@nikhef.nl; ivanmc@akwan.com.br; lyman@acm.org;
f.fitzsimmons@att.net; mkatoh@mkatoh.net; hans@icann.org;
shkyong@kgsm.kaist.ac.kr; lynn@icann.org; andy@ccc.de;
junsec@wide.ad.jp; quaynor@ghana.com; helmut.schink@icn.siemens.de;
linda@icann.org; nvictory@ntia.doc.gov; ga@dnso.org
Cc: secretariat@isoc-ecc.org; Yatoh@intnet.bj; infocom@avu.org; Vittorio
Bertola; tommi.karttaavi@iki.fi; RBHauptman@aol.com; andyo@oreilly.com;
hans.klein@pubpolicy.gatech.edu; rk2x@andrew.cmu.edu;
pshane@andrew.cmu.edu; faia@amauta.rcp.net.pe; legales@derecho.org.ar;
emv@southtech.com.ar; gonzalo@juandegaray.org.ar; ateneas@retemail.es;
JacobsenTom@acm.org; alain.moscowitz@cecua.org; icannatlarge@isoc.bg;
naavi@vsnl.com; ramboa@ird.mg; marius@refer.mg;
sotiris@hermesnetwork.com; icheckemail@indiatimes.com; izumi@anr.org;
Christian.Ahlert@sowi.uni-giessen.de; yjpark@myepark.com;
vivek@vivekdurai.com; todd glassey; Richard Henderson; Kristy McKee;
karl@cavebear.com; Joop Teernstra; Joe Baptista; Joanna Lane;
james.love@cptech.org; j.oppenheimer@att.net; ellen@rony.com;
jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com; Richard J. Sexton
Subject: RE: "The reform committee continues to refine its proposals..."

At 21:17 16/08/02, Jonathan Cohen wrote:

>And will those who disagree stop villifying, name calling ,cheap shotting

Dear Jonathan,
first, I want to thank you for this mail:  its probably the first one I
receive from you with my name on it; thank's to Jim. .

What you say certainly makes sense, and I (we all) certainly share concerns
for your own volunteer effort, at your own money expense (BTW except
professional lobbyists, we all are the same).

Many of us would be ready to help you. But you are a very difficult person
to help and assist. Should Andy and Karl have not said you are a very
dedicated, interesting and nice person to work with, how would we know?

What you have to understand is many have an experience of politics, of the
network, of international issues, of technical issues, etc.. equivalent to
yours and possibly higher in some aspects. It happens that you share
responsibility in ICANNn but you do not share with them. As they are
responsible persons, with duties to their own communities, countries,
mankind and kids their question is simple: "since ICANN does not share,
will we share?", and BoD bores more and more of them in saying "no" .

Yet, until now nothing is irreversible.

Vint is on the GA,
Alejandro tries to be on the NCC from time to time
even Joe is on the GA from times to times
Karl is on several lists
Stuart is no more anywhere
Andy is on a few lists from time to time
you respond for the first time

where are the others?

I do not think we distrust you, BoD people. What we see is that you
distrust us.

Why do you want us to continue being interested in your ICANN. As Mike said
"we ICANN", that could work. "you ICANN" will never work.

There are more important things to do: there is a network, a world, an
economy, a technology, innovations to develop and people to serve and to
love with sustainable development. There is also souls to protect from what
you do, or permit doing. I am sad when I see what ICANN does, I am sad for
you, I am sad for your efforts, I am sad for your good intents... because
you do not permit us to help you not doing it or find ways to do it less
badly.

This is your decision. Do not accuse us for it.

As long as ICANN is here we will be ready to help because it is more
efficient to build than to rebuild.
But up to you to tell us - just to tell us - "ICANN still exists". What we
see is not existence, just pretence.

Existence is when people talk.
Pretence is when abscond lawyers tend smoke screens.
jfc

>because they dont get their way.Will people from 'some ' country stop
>invoking its world view on every aspect of ICANN and the Internet.Will
>,those who dont like directions or decisions of ICANN stop whining to
>Congress or the DOC,will they take the time to check their facts,.Bob Dylan
>said it in a song a long time ago .....''try spending a day in our shoes''
>,as VOLUNTEERS, at considerable personal cost in time,energy and MONEY!!Try
>listening to the push and pull from every direction,the criticism,the
>Politics,the Rhetoric, name calling AND WORSE,while you try to do the Best
>Job you can.Noone on the Board expects sympathy or "flowers"...But it would
>sure be refreshing to get some 'Balance'and some decent debate ,where if
you
>dont win you shake hands and try again later...But maybe thats ''culturally
>biased''  see you around the "Ranch"

Worldcom