From: Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law
[mailto:froomkin@law.miami.edu]
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2002 3:49 PM
To: Jonathan Cohen
Cc: Jim Fleming; vinton.g.cerf@WCOM.COM; apisan@servidor.unam.mx;
Amadeu@nominalia.com; karl@cavebear.com; k13@nikhef.nl;
ivanmc@akwan.com.br; lyman@acm.org; f.fitzsimmons@att.net;
mkatoh@mkatoh.net; hans@icann.org; shkyong@kgsm.kaist.ac.kr;
lynn@icann.org; andy@ccc.de; junsec@wide.ad.jp; quaynor@ghana.com;
helmut.schink@icn.siemens.de; linda@icann.org; nvictory@ntia.doc.gov;
ga@dnso.org; secretariat@isoc-ecc.org; Yatoh@intnet.bj; infocom@avu.org;
Vittorio Bertola; tommi.karttaavi@iki.fi; RBHauptman@aol.com;
andyo@oreilly.com; hans.klein@pubpolicy.gatech.edu; rk2x@andrew.cmu.edu;
pshane@andrew.cmu.edu; faia@amauta.rcp.net.pe; legales@derecho.org.ar;
emv@southtech.com.ar; gonzalo@juandegaray.org.ar; ateneas@retemail.es;
JacobsenTom@acm.org; alain.moscowitz@cecua.org; icannatlarge@isoc.bg;
naavi@vsnl.com; ramboa@ird.mg; marius@refer.mg;
sotiris@hermesnetwork.com; icheckemail@indiatimes.com; izumi@anr.org;
Christian.Ahlert@sowi.uni-giessen.de; yjpark@myepark.com;
vivek@vivekdurai.com; todd glassey; Richard Henderson; Kristy McKee;
Joop Teernstra; Joe Baptista; Joanna Lane; jefsey@jefsey.com;
james.love@cptech.org; j.oppenheimer@att.net; ellen@rony.com;
jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com; Richard J. Sexton
Subject: Re: [ga] RE: "The reform committee continues to refine its
proposals..."

I see you do have time to send email.  Well then, allow me to check facts:

Is it true as alleged on the GA list that the ITU was willing to pick up
the charges needed to support the GAC, but ICANN chose to pay US$75,000
itself...in the absence of any need or contractual obligation to do so?

And why exactly should I be denied my right to petition congress and the
executive for a redress of grievances?  When it's the actions of the us
government that empower ICANN?  And it's ICANN which has chosen to
disenfranchise me.  I certainly have no vote on anything ICANN does, and
you are planning to put the last nail in that coffin in October.  I should
sit quietly and take my medicine?

Incidentally, I find your comment that we should try to imagine what it is
like to be in your shoes especially insulting, as it is your decisions
which ensure that no one representing me will ever get to do exactly that.
And of course, there's no 'try again later' once you've been shut out
completely of the voting power.   In fact, we had about 3 tries on getting
user representation, all rejected by the ICANN board.  That's a lot of
tries already.

My cultural bias is in favor of representative structures and strict
accountability.  What's yours?

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Jonathan Cohen wrote:

> And will those who disagree stop villifying, name calling ,cheap shotting
> because they dont get their way.Will people from 'some ' country stop
> invoking its world view on every aspect of ICANN and the Internet.Will
> ,those who dont like directions or decisions of ICANN stop whining to
> Congress or the DOC,will they take the time to check their facts,.Bob
Dylan
> said it in a song a long time ago .....''try spending a day in our shoes''
> ,as VOLUNTEERS, at considerable personal cost in time,energy and
MONEY!!Try
> listening to the push and pull from every direction,the criticism,the
> Politics,the Rhetoric, name calling AND WORSE,while you try to do the Best
> Job you can.Noone on the Board expects sympathy or "flowers"...But it
would
> sure be refreshing to get some 'Balance'and some decent debate ,where if
you
> dont win you shake hands and try again later...But maybe thats
''culturally
> biased''  see you around the "Ranch"

Worldcom
> is history ?
>
> Does ICANN plan to move out of the current location to a ranch it
purchases
> overlooking the
> Pacific Ocean ? Will there be an airstrip and stables for horses ? Will
> those be in the budget ?
>
> When will companies like IBM, HP and AT&T start paying their equivalent
> share of rent for
> address space ? Will that gain them special access to the ICANN Ranch and
> horseback rides ?
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space
>
> Will there also be room in the ICANN budget to pick up a mansion in the
> Beverly Hills area ?
> ....to host various gatherings to maintain the stability....job
> security....etc...
>

> Jim Fleming
> 2002:[IPv4]:000X:03DB:...IPv8 is closer than you think...
> http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt

		Please visit http://www.icannwatch.org
                      -->It's very hot here.<--