Re: [ga] WHOIS accuracy, and name deletions

Leah and all former DNSO GA members,

L. Gallegos wrote:

> Has anyone even addressed the issue of spam filters that frequenty and
> erroneously bounce or simply discard legitimate email?  IMO, it is
> absolutely ridiculous to rely upon email as a certain notification tool
> for anything.  I have more than one ISP who have used spam filters (which
> I feel are a good thing) and have lost some legitimate email in the
> process.  In most cases, the ISPs attempt to "tweak" the filters
> appropriately so that the majority of legitimate mail is not rejected or
> discarded, but it is not foolproof.

  You have a good and valid point here Leah.  However I think that
at least for the time being this is a rather rare if not very rare occurrence.

On the other hand SPAM is getting to be a nearly religious hatred
by many and some specialized software companies such as Spamassisn
have products out that improperly define what spam really is therefore
leading to a even larger problem long term...

> Unless there is a way to ensure that all legitimate mail will be received
> by the recipient, there is no way one can enforce service via e-mail.

  Agreed.  But still we can reasonably rely on e-mail for such notification.
Also with and Admin. contact E-Mail address for every Domain Name
registered that is different than the Registrant e-mail address.

> There is also no guarantee that every mail server will be 100% up and that
> no email will be lost if it crashes.  We all strive to prevent
> catastrophic loss, but it still occurs.  We also cannot ensure that
> recipient's machines will always be "up" and running that they will always
> have access to the internet.

  Also true here as well.  However this is hardly and argument that
the personal and private contact information need to be listed in a
Whois search.

>  I have more than one connection and have
> occasionally had them both down at the same time.  In case of power
> outages and storms, we have been down for days a time.  Generators and
> UPS's run only so long and then they are down as well.
>
> I think it is encumbant upon those who wish to serve notice to do so in a
> manner that is most accurate and e-mail is NOT it.

  Perhaps so.  However again such information is not necessary to have
publicly available in a whois lookup search results.  In other words
the Registry should be contacted via a legal filing if it is so necessary
to contact that individual or admin. contact them regarding a Domain
Name or DNSO problem.

> Leah
>
> On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 16:03:11 -0600, "Rodrigo  Orenday Serrato"
> <rorenday@banxico.org.mx> wrote:
>
> >As far as I know, domain names are used mostly for websites. I know they
> >have other uses, but I was under the impression that the foremost concern
> is
> >with regard to domain names used for websites.
>
> Just because most are used for websites is no reason to implement
> rules for all domain names that only apply if there is a website.
>
> >With regard to your second paragraph, as I said before, if you own a
> >business, you must tend to it.
>
> Umm, where on earth do you get the notion that all websites are
> commercial?  Many websites are personal or non commercial.  Rather
> rough if you have the same surname as a trademark and you go away on
> holiday to find your personal website gone when you get back.
>
> >As for your firewall idea, well, the hole point of my idea is that proof
> of
> >the e-mail being sent should be issued by the website for which it is
> used,
> >by a print out of the acknowledgment of receipt that it would issue.
>
> So you want every website in the world to be forced to have an auto
> responder bot for e-mail just to cover the one in one hundred thousand
> possibility that someone thinks your whois details are incorrect.
>
> >It's just a wild thought anyway, but thanks for paying so much attention
> >it.
>
> Very very wild.
>
> DPF

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801