Re: [ga] Response to your posting on the NC List

Ross and all stakeholders or other interested parties and members,

Ross Wm. Rader wrote:

> > I was told participation in the (G/D)NSO is totally voluntary. Although I
> > would say most contracting parties remain supportive of the principles
> ICANN
> > was founded on, they are just turning off to the political BS and focusing
> > on running there businesses. When they see a proposed "policy" that might
> > detrimentally impact their business or negatively impact their customers
> > they will speak up and rely on the safeguards contained in their
> contracts.
>
> But both can't be had.

  First off here Ross, I don't believe in "Can't".  I tore that page out of my
dictionary long ago.  To go along with this, as an retired USMC officer,
we had a USMC motto: The difficult we do immediately, the impossible
takes just a little bit longer...

> The saying that one that isn't part of the solution
> is part of the problem.

  Good point here, unless the solution IS the problem.  >;)

> And truth be told, those contracting parties that
> don't participate in the *NSO don't get special treatment just because they
> don't participate, a stakeholder is a stakeholder, regardless of their
> membership status (in the *NSO or otherwise). If the majority of registrars
> are choosing to not to participate in the *NSO, doesn't that indicate a more
> specific failure somewhere else? ICANN's political dynamic isn't the root of
> all evil, nor is market competition the magic bullet. Contracted parties
> have an obligation to implement the policies specified in our contracts and
> a right to participate in the development of the policy that those contracts
> contain - there are ways to make changes to those policies without unanimous
> consent. This is the essence of the consensus policy development process.

  Agreed here.  However that "Consensus" cannot be simply declared, it
must be measured, and have full, open and transparent participation
available to any stakeholder/user that wishes to do so.  This means that
stakeholders/users must be able to openly and transparently participate
in developing the policies as well as vote upon them before any consensus
can be achieved.  And this is definitely NOT what is happening
with ICANN regardless, and now in part because of the "Blueprint
for reform" processes.

> I can't be much more explicit than this folks; let's stop talking about the
> dynamic and the personalities, let's set aside the questions of how
> representative the opinions of others actually are and really, lets stop
> acting like children. There are serious problems that need addressing here.
> There will always be those that choose to hold their breathe instead of
> constructively participating in resolution. Lets ignore that and move on.
> Unanimous consent isn't necessary, general agreement on specific solutions
> is.
>
> Less rhetoric and more work is required. When was the last time that any of
> you reading this tabled a solid proposal for comments? Those of you that can
> remember should be busily writing another one (but you have my gratitude).
> Those of you that can't remember have some work to do.
>
> If we can't even collectively take a small step like this, then perhaps we
> should be packing up our toys and going home.
>
>                        -rwr
>
> "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
> idiot."
> - Steven Wright
>
> Got Blog? http://www.byte.org/blog
>
> Please review our ICANN Reform Proposal:
> http://www.byte.org/heathrow

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801