Re: [ga] Response to your posting on the NC List

> I was told participation in the (G/D)NSO is totally voluntary. Although I
> would say most contracting parties remain supportive of the principles
ICANN
> was founded on, they are just turning off to the political BS and focusing
> on running there businesses. When they see a proposed "policy" that might
> detrimentally impact their business or negatively impact their customers
> they will speak up and rely on the safeguards contained in their
contracts.

But both can't be had. The saying that one that isn't part of the solution
is part of the problem. And truth be told, those contracting parties that
don't participate in the *NSO don't get special treatment just because they
don't participate, a stakeholder is a stakeholder, regardless of their
membership status (in the *NSO or otherwise). If the majority of registrars
are choosing to not to participate in the *NSO, doesn't that indicate a more
specific failure somewhere else? ICANN's political dynamic isn't the root of
all evil, nor is market competition the magic bullet. Contracted parties
have an obligation to implement the policies specified in our contracts and
a right to participate in the development of the policy that those contracts
contain - there are ways to make changes to those policies without unanimous
consent. This is the essence of the consensus policy development process.

I can't be much more explicit than this folks; let's stop talking about the
dynamic and the personalities, let's set aside the questions of how
representative the opinions of others actually are and really, lets stop
acting like children. There are serious problems that need addressing here.
There will always be those that choose to hold their breathe instead of
constructively participating in resolution. Lets ignore that and move on.
Unanimous consent isn't necessary, general agreement on specific solutions
is.

Less rhetoric and more work is required. When was the last time that any of
you reading this tabled a solid proposal for comments? Those of you that can
remember should be busily writing another one (but you have my gratitude).
Those of you that can't remember have some work to do.

If we can't even collectively take a small step like this, then perhaps we
should be packing up our toys and going home.

                       -rwr

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
idiot."
- Steven Wright

Got Blog? http://www.byte.org/blog

Please review our ICANN Reform Proposal:
http://www.byte.org/heathrow