Re: [ga] Response to your posting on the NC List

> Why isn't the answer to go back to the concept of open Working Groups?
> If honestly administered(*) then no one can say they were excluded, and
> this gamesmanship won't be credible.  Of course, the price is that
> membership won't be manipulable by the people trying to wire the results,
> but you can't have everything.

I would agree with this Michael - but only insofar as the process can be
effectively managed. WG-B/C were each so large as to be unmanageable. While
there was, in my opinion, a ton of consensus ripe for the picking, the
chairs couldn't effectively direct the participants to the degree necessary
to find the diamonds in the rough (nor should they have been reasonably
expected to). With no raw materials, its impossible to polish the results
satisfactorily. At the end of the day, it is the responsibility of the
TF/WG/Whatever to ensure that consensus is found and that recommendations
based on the consensus can be reasonably implemented.

There are lessons to be gleaned from these failures, but is anyone seriously
and productively looking?

                       -rwr

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
idiot."
- Steven Wright

Got Blog? http://www.byte.org/blog

Please review our ICANN Reform Proposal:
http://www.byte.org/heathrow