Re: [ga] ITU Resolution 102 -- four years later

On 17:32 19/10/02, Ross Wm. Rader said:
>It has never been a dotcom world and its certainly not a gTLD world.

This would be a good point enough should the domain name had not be
confused with the mnemonic. You perfectly know that everyone around the
world first resolves a mnemonic into mnemonic.com as a domain name.

That would be a good point should that confusion did not result from
ICANN's policy though the lack of new TLDs.

Now, Ross, what is the capitalism to do with this? I have allways been
explained that Internet was an academic network of military origin and that
names had a rate helping to support the cost of managing and developping
the network?  I certainly observed that bluntly a fee became a discounted
price but if was after I started using that domain names of mine. I
genuinely believed when I started that Internet was democraticaly managed
(I even rad the bylaws of ICANN) and that $100/two years was the real cost
of the Internet operations under the control of the USG.

I was probably too much accustomed to the European notion of "public
service". So, if I read you correctly "to foster competition" is the same
as "to enforce capitalism"? If you say so I will accept it (a costly lesson
of English -).

But may I ask a question? What was the capital investment?
If you go on the ICANN site, you will find the IANA agreement where the USG
sells the IANA function to ICAN for less than $ 10.000. Means that I have
paid 7 times the price Internets. Even by tough capitalistic standard it
would be a good deal for the seller :-)

As an US tax payer, are not surprised that the USG Might sell for such a
low price something generating so much revenue. I really think WRSN could
thank Mr. DeWitt from Eindhoven, who I suppose never got a cent for having
initially coined "com".
jfc