Re: [ga] ITU Resolution 102 -- four years later

Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> ICANN is exaggerating now, and is stretching the thing too far.
> On one hand it seems incapable to curb the monopolistic/oligopolistic
> ambitions of some powerful actors, and on the other hand is denying
> representativity to the less powerful, like individual users.
> On one hand it allows free hand to the major gTLD, and on the other hand it
> is trying to impose unnecessary rules to the ccTLDs, that should be
> answerable to their local community (and to their individual governments),
> not to a centralized body.

Absolutely true.

It is even worst with regard to the gTLD space, which is an
extra-judiciary one, a planetary public resource.

What is really a gTLD space ?

There are databases of Registrants (whois), and corresponding
domain names (zone files), which has been collected from companies,
organizations and individuals from many countries. The access
to those databases in bulk permits to get information of companies'
relationships, and to deduce many things like that.
The handling of such important databases is extremely political
issue, and request for careful considerations: there are a lot
of legal and business aspects, which are of interest to all governments.

Another issue of interest is financial. There is circa 28 million
domain names in gTLD space - what is the distribution of Registrants
per countries? Is ICANN collecting and publishing that fundamental
statistic data? There is an estimate that 40% of gTLD Registrants
are outside of the USA, circa 11 million domain names.
What is the nature of Registrants fees, which at the end of worldwide
collection process are reversed to gTLD Registries, with the cap
of $6 per name ? That is circa $168 million per annum, and 40% of it,
circa $67 million are collected from the non-US Registrants.
I admit $6 is a cap, I admit there is a cost of running Registry
- and we know from some big ccTLD ones, run as not for profit,
that the real cost is many many times lower.
The question then arises: are that $67 million per annum collected
by gTLD Registries from the non-US Registrants a tax?
I guess some users and now governments feel concerned by something
which looks like a planetary tax.
Why ICANN maintain that enormous $6 cap fee per domain name
in extra-judiciary international space? Why ICANN does not use
that money collected worldwide for the benefit of international
domain name Registrants?

Best regards,
Elisabeth