Re: [ga] ITU Resolution 102 -- four years later

> > On one hand it allows free hand to the major gTLD, and on the other hand
it
> > is trying to impose unnecessary rules to the ccTLDs, that should be
> > answerable to their local community (and to their individual
governments),
> > not to a centralized body.
>
> Absolutely true.

Absolutely untrue - the contrast only exists if both conditions are true.
gTLD Operators don't have a free-hand.

> issue, and request for careful considerations: there are a lot
> of legal and business aspects, which are of interest to all governments.

...of interest to all stakeholders. Interest != Control.

> The question then arises: are that $67 million per annum collected
> by gTLD Registries from the non-US Registrants a tax?
> I guess some users and now governments feel concerned by something
> which looks like a planetary tax.
> Why ICANN maintain that enormous $6 cap fee per domain name
> in extra-judiciary international space? Why ICANN does not use
> that money collected worldwide for the benefit of international
> domain name Registrants?

This might just be the most ridiculous line of reasoning that I've seen for
a long time. Either that or a very poor attempt at fear-mongering. Which is
it?

-rwr