Re: [ga] ITU Resolution 102 -- four years later

On 18 Oct 2002, at 11:38, Roberto Gaetano wrote:

I agree with most parts of your description. I am not convinced though it would be the
best solution if the ITU stepped in and took over the control over the root.

What I find really unfortunate is that the idea of self governance is linked to the
oversight of one government. What is necessary I think is some form of political
framework that would enable a new attempt of self-governance. ICANN's failure and
incapability of reforming itself in a legitimate way does not prove that self-governance
is impossible alltogether. ICANN's failure does prove though that both stricter and more
comprehensive forms of accountability are necessary. By comprehensive I mean more than
just one government should oversee names and numbers administration.  Ideally, this could
be achieved by a convention that restricts the role of governments to a minimum of
sanity,
fairness and similar types of checks. Such a convention would provide the political space
for a new attempt governance model that aims to manage without direct government
intervention. Btw, "regulation of self-regulation" has become quite a popular strategy
recently.

Jeanette