Re: [ga] Interesting WIPO ruling re: NewZealand.biz

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 11:54:03 +0000, "Roberto Gaetano"
<ploki_xyz@hotmail.com> wrote:

>.int is somehow different.
>I am convinced that some cleanup will be done. It is sufficient to observe
>the care that is given now to award a name in .int, as can be seen, for
>instance, in the reconsideration request
>http://www.icann.org/committees/reconsideration/rc02-1.htm presented in the
>2002-08-23 Board meeting (minutes at
>http://www.icann.org/minutes/minutes-23aug02.htm).
>
>While it is obvious that this costly procedure can be, and will be, applied
>for the few names in .int, it cannot, and will not, be applied for the large
>.org.

As a point of principle I don't believe any registrant who is
operating in good faith should lose their domain name due to
retrospective policy changes.

A while back school.nz became unmoderated which upset quite a few in
the .nz community including myself and we got some registrations such
as sex.school.nz.  While I advocated we should turn school.nz back to
moderated I think those who got in while it was unmoderated should not
be penalised for the failings of the policy setting body.

So good idea to tighten up criteria for .int but kicking out current
registrants would set a fairly nasty thin end of the wedge principle.

DPF
--
david@farrar.com
ICQ 29964527