RE: [ga] Interesting WIPO ruling re: NewZealand.biz

Michael Froomkin wrote:

>....  "Miscellaneous" is the key word here...

Maybe the keyword is "enforcement".
The fact is that the current operator of .org has decided not to enforce
what, in the great scheme of things, was intended to be the original charter
of .org. The reason is simply that it was too costly.
There is really nothing that we can do: this is the situation, and ISOC is
not going to be able to change it when it will take over, because it can't
chase out from .org those who don't fit with the supposed profile.

.int is somehow different.
I am convinced that some cleanup will be done. It is sufficient to observe
the care that is given now to award a name in .int, as can be seen, for
instance, in the reconsideration request
http://www.icann.org/committees/reconsideration/rc02-1.htm presented in the
2002-08-23 Board meeting (minutes at
http://www.icann.org/minutes/minutes-23aug02.htm).

While it is obvious that this costly procedure can be, and will be, applied
for the few names in .int, it cannot, and will not, be applied for the large
.org.

Regards
Roberto