Re: [ga] FW: Comment from the gTLD Registry Constituency

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 13:36:47 -0400, "Neuman, Jeff"
<Jeff.Neuman@neustar.us> wrote:

>Thanks Elizabeth, we do recognize the difference at Neustar.  However, we
>also recognize that there are certain issues that should be considered
>"global policy issues" and for these it is more appropriate to have a global
>body, like the ICANN, to provide that forum than to rely on just the local
>community.  A few examples of these types of issues include (1) Grace
>Periods, (2) Transfers, (3) Escrow, (4) Dispute Resolution Policies, and (5)
>Uniform Deletion Periods, etc.

I have to strongly disagree that these issues would be suitable for
global policies binding on all ccTLDs.

.nz has spent a massive amount of time consulting with local users on
exactly these issues and the suggestion that the will of the local
internet community should be subservient to an ICANN process is not
one which would find favour.  DIfferent countries have different laws
relating to privacy, consumer protection, trademarks so the whole
notion of global policies over all 245 ccTLDs is never going to
happen.

DPF
--
david@farrar.com