Re: [ga] FW: Comment from the gTLD Registry Constituency

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@verisign.com>
To: <DannyYounger@cs.com>; <barrister@chambers.gen.nz>; <ga@dnso.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 12:30 AM
Subject: RE: [ga] FW: Comment from the gTLD Registry Constituency

> It's never been clear why the ccTLD registries couldn't "benefit" from the
> input of other consituencies.

Agreed - but not the issue. When we want the benefit we can obtain from the
DNSO constituencies, we shall use the DNSO liaison group we saet up last
year.

The issue is about membership of the ccSO, not whom it will liaise with.

> ccTLD TLDs involve business, IP,
> noncommerical, and ISP users, so, if the constituency model is to be
> continued, why wouldn't the ccSO have similar constituencies?  I can
> understand why they might want to avoid that, but it is not because those
> constituences are not impacted by ccTLD issues.

Agreed, and we deal with all of those at home, in so far as they raise
issues which affect the sovereign space. What we don't want need, or believe
is appropriate for ICAN is to come to an international coordination forum to
deal with issues which belong at home.

And no, the constituency model has no application in the ccSO, just as it
didn't in the PSO, and won't in the ASO. You have to appreciate that the
g-space doesn't have a local internet community, so we, in ICANN have built
one - the DNSO (GNSO). There, the constituents that we face at home -users,
providers, our national government, registrars  - even trade mark lawyers
like me  -meet to provide a balance of those interests for the g-space.

But it will be an open place  - the proposed International Assembly will be
open to all, to comment or question on things in relation to cctlds -and
you're all welcome.

Regards
Peter Dengate Thrush
Senior Vice Chair