Re: [ga] FW: Comment from the gTLD Registry Constituency

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 12:38 AM
Subject: RE: [ga] FW: Comment from the gTLD Registry Constituency

Peter,

>Why shouldn't the structure require the ccTLD registries to sit around the table with the user community?  >Why shouldn't the ccSO have constituencies representing the user community?

See my previous/concurrent  post -
We do sit around the table with our user communtiy -at home, which is the equivalent to the DNSO -the place where policy for the particular registry is made. As trade mark law is entirely domestic (including the adoption  and implementation of international treaty law) there is no point in attempting to deal with trade mark issues, for example, except at home.

>It seems to be that both gTLD and ccTLD registries and registrars can benefit with interaction with the user community.  But we shouldn't assume that the only way to do that is within the ICANN structure.

Agreed - which is why the cctlds have the most comprehensive outreach and liaison programme of any group in the ICANN fold -bar none.

Regards

Peter Dengate Thrush
Senior Vice Chair
Asia Pacific TLD Association