Re: [ga] Froomkin's antitrust advice

It was not his credentials or legal acumen which were impeached in
this forum. Rather, it was his position and tactics.

It generally takes more than a CV to earn credibility, particularly
when it has already been lost.

Thursday, September 26, 2002, 1:52:28 AM, kent@songbird.com <kent@songbird.com> wrote:
ksc> On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 07:54:22PM -0500, Andy Gardner wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Joe Sims wrote:
>>
>>> I suggest that readers take Professor Froomkin's advice on antitrust with a
>>> very large grain of salt; it would be an understatement to say he is not an
>>> antitrust expert.  Any competent antitrust lawyer would tell you that
>>
>> You're hardly the one to be making a call on competence.

ksc> Joe's Bio from Jones-Day
ksc> (http://www1.jonesday.com/attorneys/bio.asp?AttorneyID=13072):

ksc>   Joe Sims chairs both the Firm's Technology Issues practice and the
ksc>   Antitrust & Trade Regulation practice.  His practice is concentrated
ksc>   in antitrust and related areas of government regulation and includes
ksc>   litigation, counseling, and agency practice before state and federal
ksc>   courts, antitrust enforcement agencies, and various specialized
ksc>   agencies (e.g., FCC and DOT) where competition policy or antitrust
ksc>   issues arise.  He has especially broad experience in dealing with
ksc>   mergers and acquisitions and with the full range of antitrust issues
ksc>   involving technology, telecommunications, and the electronic media
ksc>   industries.  Representative clients in recent public matters include
ksc>   Abbott Laboratories; AOL Time Warner; Aventis S.A.; Ernst & Young;
ksc>   Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN); Liberty
ksc>   Media; Nextel Communications; Procter & Gamble; R.J.  Reynolds Tobacco
ksc>   Co.; TV Guide, Inc.; Viacom; and The Williams Companies.

ksc>   Joe is a member of the American Bar Association (Antitrust Law
ksc>   Section, former chair of the Section 1 Committee and the Civil
ksc>   Practice and Procedure Committee; Administrative Law and Regulatory
ksc>   Practice Section; Litigation Section; and Business Law Section, former
ksc>   chair of the Antitrust Law Committee).  He is a Fellow of the American
ksc>   Bar Foundation and a member of The American Law Institute.  He serves
ksc>   on the Executive Committee of the Institute for Law and Technology of
ksc>   the Center for American and International Law.

ksc>   Joe regularly writes and lectures on antitrust and related subjects.
ksc>   He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America, in The World's Leading
ksc>   Lawyers, and in various other publications recognizing leading
ksc>   antitrust lawyers in the world.  In 2001, he was included in a listing
ksc>   of the world's top 10 antitrust lawyers by Global Counsel magazine,
ksc>   and in 2000 was one of 15 lawyers recognized as the "Dealmakers of the
ksc>   Year" by The American Lawyer magazine.  He is admitted to practice
ksc>   before the United States Supreme Court and a majority of the federal
ksc>   courts of appeal.

ksc> --
ksc> This message was passed to you via the ga@dnso.org list.
ksc> ("unsubscribe ga" in the body of the message).
ksc> Archives at http://www.dnso.org/archives.html

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
donbrown_l@inetconcepts.net         http://www.inetconcepts.net
PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
----