[ga] Re: Vint why do none of the NIC's have any way to inform them of WHOISdata that is wrong...

this is a fairly current topic and I agree it does need to be
addressed. ICANN recently threatend Verisign with excommunication
over this issue and Verisign did respond but the problem is plainly
widespread. Of course, free email boxes exacerbate problems of this
kind, too, I guess. Thanks for this input; it will motivate more
effort on policy and implementation.

vint

At 07:23 AM 9/17/2002 -0700, todd glassey wrote:
>Vint - the operating process of the NIC's seem to have no way for
>individuals to report domains that are either misregistered or have
>fraudulent contact information or broken links for whatever reason.
>
>This is a real problem since these are the issues that spammers and other
>peddlers of illicit materials create for themselves to hide behind. For
>instance - I get this SPAM this morning showing half a dozen school girls
>involved in various sexual acts and after doing a header analysis, we find
>it comes from a domain called 99talk.com, registered through the Boy Scouts
>of Australia, only the contact email addresses for the domain all bounce...
>
>And in instances like this one,  if the NIC bothered to check its contact
>data on a regular basis of course this would not be true. So I have to ask -
>Why then do the InterNIC's not have any way of taking reports or doing
>anything about these fraudulent or inaccurate listings in the Whois or other
>"client databases" maintained buy the NIC's?
>
>This is negligence in the Registrar and ICANN process, not an excuse for
>plausible deniability and it needs to be addressed.
>
>Todd

Vint Cerf
SVP Architecture & Technology
WorldCom