Staff above Board? (Re: [ga] Re: Byfield on GA Reform / comments)

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, at 19:41 [=GMT-0700], kent@songbird.com wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 05:01:36PM -0700, Karl Auerbach wrote:
> > One can propose a proposition and hold an election.  You don't need
> > permission.  It would be interesting indeed to see if the holding of such
> > an election were to be censored by the list "moderators".
> >
> > I suggest the first proposition be something like this:
> >
> >  We, the assembled GA, declare that we are a fully empowered body;  We
> >  assert the right to establish our own agenda and procedures and to elect
> >  and recall our own officers.
> >
> > The second proposition would be to establish a mailing list *outside* of
> > the control of ICANN and the DNSO.  ICANN can't object - isn't such
> > "outside" organization one of the goals of the ALAC?
>
> By all means.  Set up your own mailing list, outside the control of
> ICANN -- you can hold your votes on it.  Since you claim that the GA is
> powerless, and also since, according to you, the only thing that matters
> is power anyway, I don't see why you remain subscribed to the GA list at
> all -- seems like according to your own standards, it's just a waste of
> time.  :-)

Is the above message from an ICANN staff member an indication that they
are above the Board? Most organizations would sack an employee speaking up
like this.

Also it is considered very bad manners, at least in Europe, for employees
to participate in policy discussions on an executive level, in public.

Thanks, Kent, for showing us, how it works in ICANN.