RE: [ga] Re: Byfield on GA Reform / comments

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Joanna Lane wrote:

> > The GA does need process - I have long been an advocate of an form of
> > Roberts rules modified for electronic contexts - but if the GA needs
> > anything, it is not "moderation".  Quite the contrary, it needs to as a
> > group make a clear resolution, and vote on that resolution, about what it
> > sees as its role.

> But Karl, that's impossible since Thomas abolished voting procedures in the
> GA. There is no place left inside ICANN where individuals can vote on
> anything.

To borrow a trademarked phrase: if you need an election then "just do it"!

One can propose a proposition and hold an election.  You don't need
permission.  It would be interesting indeed to see if the holding of such
an election were to be censored by the list "moderators".

I suggest the first proposition be something like this:

 We, the assembled GA, declare that we are a fully empowered body;  We
 assert the right to establish our own agenda and procedures and to elect
 and recall our own officers.

The second proposition would be to establish a mailing list *outside* of
the control of ICANN and the DNSO.  ICANN can't object - isn't such
"outside" organization one of the goals of the ALAC?

		--karl--