[ga] Dominance vs Concertance [was WLS Suggestion]

On 17:51 24/08/02, Joe Baptista said:
>there's just one little problem here.  if icann or the doc control of the
>roots were a monopoly then yes I can see support for your statement - but
>the fact is no monopoly exists and governments have a very difficult time
>controlling an open system where control resides at the end points (i.e.
>the users).

Dear Joe,
any system is made of three elements. Hardware, Software and Brainware. It
is totally true that the hardware and the software are not under monopoly
and government control. But Brainware (ie the way the users [are made to]
believe the system works) has been influenced (washed ?) into believing
such a monopoly does exist.

The only way to correct that is the one we are engaging, ie to experiment
how to run a more stable, a more secure, a more open, a more innovative, a
more rewarding DNS system. Because such an effort will necessarily show
that security, stability, openness, innovation, sustainable development
come  from concertance rather than from dominance.

On that point I fully agree with ICP-3, we should all reread. We need a
concerted experimentation of multiple parallel asynchronous root servers
systems, with separated data collections, operations and mutual consistency
checking. With probably a few data collection, control, alarm, statistics,
recording, view management added functions to get a professional and
reliable public system.

After 20 years of centralized ARPA intranet DNS, time has come to analyze,
study, develop and validate a second generation DNS system able to match
the network needs of tomorrow, the legal requirements of 190 countries, the
sovereign power of 190 Govs, the demands of 190 economies and the
expectations of 190 national communities.

After IPv6 we need DNS.2 (and DNS+ for extended URL oriented services like
iDNs, directories, smart resolutions). Hardware, Software and Brainware.

There is no monopoly, just a lack of vision from ourselves, but it will
come. Once we understand the center of the Internet world is not ICANN but
each of the users.
jfc