Re: [ga] WLS Suggestion

On Sat, 24 Aug 2002, Patrick wrote:

> I think that the failed experiment that is ICANN illustrates that a
> private body should not be in the role of regulating monopolies. They have
> neither the financial means, nor the will.
>
> It is a job best left to governments. While I can't say I'm particularly happy
> with my governments track record on that point as of late, at least I have
> some semblance of representation, and my governments pockets are deep
> enough to engage in long, drawn-out suits involving monopolists.

there's just one little problem here.  if icann or the doc control of the
roots were a monopoly then yes I can see support for your statement - but
the fact is no monopoly exists and governments have a very difficult time
controlling an open system where control resides at the end points (i.e.
the users).

in fact consider that the primary reason icann has failed.

regards
joe baptista