[ga] Re: ICANN or Governments?

Peter Dengate Thrush wrote:

> From: <kent@songbird.com>
>

> > To the extent that people have tried to force ICANN into a quasi
> > governmental role of a regulator, with all the trappings of elections
> > and so on, it has been a failed experiment.  ...

> 2. The "trappings of elections" are about installing accountability,
> responsibility and reporting obligations and procedures into a new type of
> entity. They are the trappings of a governance structure, and have nothing
> to do with regulation.

There has to be some mechanism for (s)electing the board.  The only questions are "how" and "by whom?"

And, as we all know, "governments" are not the only entities which select "representatives" by
popular elections.  Thus, these issues must be decided upon other grounds.

ICANN's problems may be rooted in other aspects of its organization,  such as its form of "globality."
There are real costs associated with holding meetings all over the world.

Could it operate as a confederation of regional ICANNs which address
issues on a more local and manageable level (i.e. continental) and send delegates
to a global congress for resolution of issues requiring universal standards?
begin:vcard
n:Weisberg;Eric
tel;cell:903.821.7602
tel;fax:903.465.2976