Re: [ga] FYI: WLS Vote of Transfers Task Force

Todd and all assembly members,

  You are quite right that this is one of the more serious deficiencies
of WLS.  But it is certainly not the only one.  Versign is touting
WLS as a solution to the DELETE problem.  WLS does not
completely address the DELETE problem as creates several
more problems of market fixing and the like that ICANN
should find as also a COI on several levels...  Making
WLS a "Best Practice" or standard is just not legitimately
thinkable.

However there should be no restriction on Verisign in deploying
WLS of their own accord should they so choose to do so.

todd glassey wrote:

> The problem with the WLS is simple- it will cause a liability in operations
> against ICANN in that it assumes that the marks or Internet Domain Names
> that have to date been treated as trade marks are not that, and that they
> are the ONE and ONLY MARQUE used by that IP Holder.
>
> This makes the Internet Domain Name a separate class of Marque and this
> would take an act of law to put in place.
>
> They (the WLS Registrars) also are looking to put in place that because
> these "marques" are only valid during the period of being registered, that
> the instant the registration expires that the owners has officially
> abandoned the marque and that is ludicrous at best. This erroneous
> assumption of US Trademark Law would then place the marque further into the
> control of the registrar and not the real owner of the marque.
>
> The rules about trademark Intellectual Property are simple and have been in
> effect for much longer than there was an Internet, so without modifying
> them, the WLS itself is probably illegal in my estimation and will likely be
> challenged in court.
>
> The net effect is that anyone suffering damages due to what I consider a
> "commercially self-centered" policy, should just sue the registrar and ICANN
> jointly for the damages. And I assure you that the veil of the corporation
> is most likely easily pierced in such a situation. And pierced  such that
> the ICANN Board Members can be held financially accountable for damages in
> WLS based damage claims... personally.
>
> My feeling is that it will be very interesting to see how this works out,
> since I am sure ICANN's director's insurance would not cover a malicious act
> of creating a system that intentionally allows to usurping of existing
> marques.  And what also about certain registrar's refusals to delete expired
> domains or to allow transfers to happen to domains... Seems like we have the
> same problem. The registers controlling access to IP's they do not own.
>
> Todd Glassey

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827