Re: [ga] FYI: WLS Vote of Transfers Task Force

Jeff- lets take this a step farther...
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Williams" <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>
To: "todd glassey" <todd.glassey@worldnet.att.net>
Cc: "DNSO General Assembly" <ga@dnso.org>; "Alexander Svensson"
<alexander@svensson.de>; "icann board address" <icann-board@icann.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 5:07 PM
Subject: Re: [ga] FYI: WLS Vote of Transfers Task Force

> Todd and all assembly members,
>
>   You are quite right that this is one of the more serious deficiencies
> of WLS.  But it is certainly not the only one.  Versign is touting
> WLS as a solution to the DELETE problem.

No the real problem is the Name Squatters and  the Registrars that own a
Name Squatting Company or that are partnered with one. The other problem is
that there is still only one fricken ROOT here. The Root Zone Protocol and
the running of multiple simultaneous and separate roots is critical in
moving forward.

> WLS does not
> completely address the DELETE problem as creates several
> more problems of market fixing and the like that ICANN
> should find as also a COI on several levels...  Making
> WLS a "Best Practice" or standard is just not legitimately
> thinkable.
>
> However there should be no restriction on Verisign in deploying
> WLS of their own accord should they so choose to do so.

Ewww - I disagre with you BIG TIME. No one should be allowed to do anything
like a WLS since it clearly puts the Registrar at odds with their original
customer.

For example -  if the Domain is hosted (published) by Verisign as as booked
for WLS, well that there is an unfair advantage accorded to Verisign in that
the instant the domain becomes expired the WLS factor is triggered and the
domain is automatically re-registered. No one but an idiot would register
across one registrar to another to WLS a domain name. So that means that WLS
really only works with the Registrar that currently has the Domain
published.

So then what WLS is, is a specific set of processes to allow the booking of
futures based pre-payments by the registrar. This can only be a mechanism to
allow the forced keeping of domains with that same registrar.

Now take a bigger picture. The Registrar also operates a Domains-for-Sale
company; so that division registers as a WLS client against all the cool
names and if there is any screwup or lapse, then the same Registrar
ultimately winds up stealing the names from its clients. Only there is no
need to pass actual money in this manner so the Registrar just books all the
cool names it wants and says "Get Sc^&*d" to all its customers.

This is what WLS is all about.

> todd glassey wrote:
>
> > The problem with the WLS is simple- it will cause a liability in
operations
> > against ICANN in that it assumes that the marks or Internet Domain Names
> > that have to date been treated as trade marks are not that, and that
they
> > are the ONE and ONLY MARQUE used by that IP Holder.
> >
> > This makes the Internet Domain Name a separate class of Marque and this
> > would take an act of law to put in place.
> >
> > They (the WLS Registrars) also are looking to put in place that because
> > these "marques" are only valid during the period of being registered,
that
> > the instant the registration expires that the owners has officially
> > abandoned the marque and that is ludicrous at best. This erroneous
> > assumption of US Trademark Law would then place the marque further into
the
> > control of the registrar and not the real owner of the marque.
> >
> > The rules about trademark Intellectual Property are simple and have been
in
> > effect for much longer than there was an Internet, so without modifying
> > them, the WLS itself is probably illegal in my estimation and will
likely be
> > challenged in court.
> >
> > The net effect is that anyone suffering damages due to what I consider a
> > "commercially self-centered" policy, should just sue the registrar and
ICANN
> > jointly for the damages. And I assure you that the veil of the
corporation
> > is most likely easily pierced in such a situation. And pierced  such
that
> > the ICANN Board Members can be held financially accountable for damages
in
> > WLS based damage claims... personally.
> >
> > My feeling is that it will be very interesting to see how this works
out,
> > since I am sure ICANN's director's insurance would not cover a malicious
act
> > of creating a system that intentionally allows to usurping of existing
> > marques.  And what also about certain registrar's refusals to delete
expired
> > domains or to allow transfers to happen to domains... Seems like we have
the
> > same problem. The registers controlling access to IP's they do not own.
> >
> > Todd Glassey

WLS
> > for 12 months.

> > recommendation.