RE: [ga] WLS is dead (or should be): Names Council vote comments

Hi Jeff,

--- "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@neustar.us> wrote:
> Actually Mr. Kirikos, the Names Council did not vote on rejecting the
> WLS,
> but rather voted to adopt the report.  That was a recognition of the
> process
> the TF used and a recognition that the report adequately represents
> the view
> of those that participated in the Task Force.  It was not approval
> for the
> substance contained within the report.  Please do not confuse the
> two
> points.

Feel free to call me "George"...most everyone else does. I can't see
how proponents of WLS can see that Names Council vote as anything but a
setback for WLS. If they were voting on the process the TF used, and
not the substance, as you're suggesting, then why did the gTLD
constituency vote against the report, calling it "illegitimate"? The
ICANN Board asked for advice, and has now received it. I believe you
and Christine from Verisign were actually *on* the Task Force itself,
and voted. If you truly disputed the process, there should have been a
motion ex-ante, within the Names Council voting members, to eliminate
or reform the Task Force, instead of waiting until the Task Force
concluded its work with a finding that you disagreed with. If the Task
Force had come back in favour of WLS, surely the gTLD, Verisign, and
SnapNames would be crowing about how "the system works", etc.

What "input" should ICANN rely on? Perhaps the 3,000 signatures on the
anti-WLS petition? The vastly negative comments about WLS on the ICANN
WLS Forum?

> By the way, I think it would be great for the ccTLDs to follow
> ICANN's
> mandate and adopt the Redemption Grace Period.

Ditto. I think some of them, as others pointed out, even let one switch
registrars during their "grace period", and thus not be held hostage by
their current registrar.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/