Re: [ga] Why Bret Fausett likes WLS?

Boris Passer wrote:
> Now, Bret, look at http://forum.icann.org/wls/. Who are all these people who
> made these hundreds of posts in opposition of WLS? Aren't they that very
> consumers who you thought should benefit from WLS?
> Wouldn't you like to revoke your pro-WLS argument? Are you still a supporter
> of WLS?

Boris,

Thanks for the nice words about my weblog.

You're correct that I have no connection to Verisign or Snapnames, and when
I write that I like the WLS proposal, I'm speaking only from my own
experience. I've used the existing available services a handful of times to
register one expiring domain name for myself and perhaps three or four for
clients. In doing so, I found the current system confusing and frustrating.
What's worse is that under the current system you can increase your odds of
getting an expiring domain name by using the services of multiple
registrars; I can understand why the registrar industry would like that, but
I don't see the benefit to consumers. Based on my own experience, I like
what I've read about the WLS and think it might well be an improvement over
the status quo. That's me speaking as a consumer.

Speaking as someone who watches ICANN and the companies it accredits, I'm
sympathetic to the view that the WLS might usurp current registrar service
offerings. The Board might be justified in rejecting a superior service in
order to preserve existing business models, but I'll leave that judgment to
the Board. As a consumer, I'd prefer the WLS.

     -- Bret