RE: [ga] WLS: Dotster posts the definitive arguments against it, and more

On 11 Jul 2002, at 7:42, Rick Wesson wrote:

> I have a question too, where does it say ICANN should work towards the
> stability and security of the DNS?
>
> IMHO, the WLS can effect the Stability and Security of the Internet and
> because of such the service offering should be examined thourghly. Is the
> WLS is more important, for whatever reason, than the stability and security
> of the internet?
>
> It is these reasons that the ICANN process should review the desires of
> registries -- to prevent monopolies from doing stupid things to the naming
> infrastructure of a global resource; to prevent greed at the expense of the
> DNS.

I am totally against the WLS, but could you explain how it effects
security and stabiltiy of the DNS?  We're talking about .COM, not the
entire internet.

Leah

> best,
>
> -rick
>

> On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 jeff@neumanfamily.us wrote:
>
> > Tonkin is quoted...
>
> [snip]
>
> > Third, if you could please show me where in the gTLD Agreements it
> > says that the policy supporting organizations can prevent Registry
> > Services from being introduced, or where in the Agreements it says
> > that the policy making body of ICANN can determine the price of a
> > service, I would be interested in seeing that.

The clauses that pertain to not restraining compettion, for one thing.
When a registry sets up a service that will put existing services out of
business, restrain registrars from offering identical but competitive
services, etc. it breaks not only the contracts, but the white paper and
MOUs between ICANN/DoC, Verisign/DoC...