Re: [ga] WLS

Don and all assembly members,

  Don, you make some very good points here a la Snapnames and
Verisign as ti relates to WLS.  Of course verisign is free to make
whatever business agreements, contractual or otherwise it so chooses.
However as Verisign is seeking to make WLS a standard practice
for addressing Deletes of expired or abandon Domain Names, the
ICANN BoD and staff should and I feel must not allow for WLS
to be such a standard if Verisign is going to pick and choose, as
well as extract a price, for the use of WLS.  This also however
should have no direct impact of whether or not Verisign wishes
to use WLS for .COM domain names, of which Verisign is
the registry in perpetuity as part of the ICANN brokered
.ORG/.NET divestiture.

Don Brown wrote:

> Why wasn't it published in one of the many papers produced by VeriSign
> and SnapNames and otherwise broadcast to the masses?
>
> In particular, why wasn't that fact plainly stated in the most recent
> 51 page marketing spin and misinformation pollution published by
> SnapNames for the ICANN Board? There wasn't any mention of it and
> that's particularly curious in light of all the justification noise
> proffered by SnapNames on that very subject.
>
> Mentioning it on the phone and devoting two sentences to it here,
> seems quite disingenuous in face of all of the other communication
> activities and publications by VeriSign and SnapNames.
>
> Furthermore, I'm not sure if VeriSign could accord the same privilege
> to all of SnapNames' current competitors given the differing business
> models. That is, however, in my opinion, inadequate justification to
> accord SnapNames any special consideration.  They should be treated
> the same as every other competitor in the current market.  The
> sideways threat of lawsuits for tortuous interference is nothing more
> than just another barrage of misinformation pollution without
> substance.
>
> Saturday, June 22, 2002, 1:28:45 PM, Gomes, Chuck <cgomes@verisign.com> wrote:
> GC> William,
>
> GC> In one of the Transfer TF WLS calls I invited other businesses who might
> GC> experience contractual issues as a result of WLS implementation to contact
> GC> VGRS and said that we would consider accomodation there if it was possible.
> GC> I have not heard from anyone.
>
> GC> Chuck

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827