From: William X Walsh [mailto:william@wxsoft.info]
Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2002 9:21 AM
To: Mason Cole
Cc: 'John Berryhill'; ga@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [ga] WLS

Friday, June 21, 2002, 5:05:49 PM, Mason Cole wrote:

>>> In terms of strategy with the legal mumbo-jumbo, though, it will work
>>> as well on the board as did IOD's same tactics.  Whoever wrote the
>>> stuff about how SnapNames is required to bring along its
>>> pre-registered customers, or else they will sue ICANN, should look
>>> over how well that played in Marina Del Rey the last time that tune
>>> was heard. . . .  In fact, those snapbacks can remain post-WLS
>>> snapbacks and not be breached at all.

> A clarification:  Please note that SnapBack customers will not be brought
> along, as is mentioned here.  Under VeriSign's proposal, names for which
> there exist SnapBacks will not be allowed into the WLS system.  All must
> compete over those names as they do today.  Thus is "grandfathering" an
> unfortunate misnomer.  And, as you mention, SnapBacks remain SnapBacks
> post-WLS.  What would constitute tortious interference would be to allow
WLS
> orders on those names for which there are currently paid-up contracts
> (SnapBack orders) on specific names.

But of course, the same courtesy is not to be extended to the
customers of other registrars operating such services.

Thus giving Snapnames an advantage even now.

I see Snapnames has the same principles of Verisign in dealing with
the public.

Snapnames can't compete with registrars offering snapnames-like
services, so they seek to make them irrelevant by getting an exclusive
contract from the registry and circumvent the competition altogether.

Your company's tactics disgusted me when they were first launched, and
throwing your lot in with Verisign has only lowered my opinion even
further.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>