Re: [ga] Time to regulate the Re-Sellers

On 2002-04-09 13:36:04 -0400, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

>As you well know, ICANN's current mission is not restricted "only"
>to technical matters, as is made clear by the language in the MOU,
>such as: "Collaborate on the design, development, and testing of a
>plan for introduction of competition in domain name registration
>services"

What you quote here is language from a time when there basically was
a monopoly on the registration market.  This language refers to a
_plan_ for _introduction_ of competition in that market.  That's a
very different thing from enforcing fair competitive practices in a
market which is so competitive that some of the participants even
seem to overstep the boundaries of lawful conduct.

>This part of our Mission calls for the establishment of "policy"
>to attend to competitive concerns.  Perhaps you would like ICANN
>to re-define its mission, but at the moment the creation of
>policies to govern competitive practices is indeed within our
>mission.

ICANN should _never_ seek to make things part of its mission which
can be handled considerably better by other bodies.  Competitive
practices which are covered by offline law belong into this category
of things.

--
Thomas Roessler                          http://log.does-not-exist.org/