Re: [ga] Time to regulate the Re-Sellers

One of the reasons for ICANN's existence, at least according to our Articles
of Incorporation, is to pursue the charitable and public purposes of
lessening the burdens of government.

The approach that both Michael and Karl advocate is designed not to lessen
such burdens, but conversely, to increase the burdens of government by
shifting away from ICANN and back into the hands of government that which
ICANN has already been given the power to regulate -- domain name system
registration processes.

Today, registrants deal as often with domain name resellers as they do with
registrars, but this former group is accountable to no one and contributes
nothing to ICANN's funding, even while reaping all the benefits of ICANN's
services.

An accreditation process for resellers is warranted, and can generate
additional revenues for the organization.
If we are empowered to set the parameters for registrar "Business Dealings,
Including with Registered Name Holders" (section 3.7 Registrar Accreditation
Agreement), we can certainly establish policies for those others that
similarly provide equivalent domain name registration services.