Re: [ga] Time to regulate the Re-Sellers

Sure, and while we are regulating people, let's regulate fraudulent web
pages, all spammers (they use the dns, don't they), and blasphemers.

In other words, NO THANKS.  This is not ICANN's mission.  It is not a
technical issue AT ALL -- it's a commercial/regulatory issue and the
appropriate place to complain is the regulatory authorities in the home of
the offender.

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> The following post has appeared on the registrars list:
>
> A Registrar (most probably a reseller of ICANN accredited Registrar) caused
> one of the most severe massive SPAMs we have ever seen. It goes by those two
> names.
>
> http://www.affordable-domains.com
> http://www.renewmydomains.com
>
> it took our mail server down for couple of hours today.  For those who are
> curious, two SPAM messages are attached below.  (see
> http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/registrars/Arc01/msg02287.html  for details).
> If one of our Resellers would do this we would terminate them.
>
> A subsequent post to the registrar's list
> http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/registrars/Arc01/msg02289.html revealed that
> the reseller operates on behalf of SRSPlus... a Verisign company.
>
> In my opinion, it is time to regulate the re-seller community to the same
> degree that we regulate the activities of registrars.  If registrars take no
> action to police their own industry, and if they are not held accountable for
> the actions of their re-sellers, then this industry is surely begging for the
> same type of governmental intervention that impacted the telecommunications
> industry.
>
> I, for one, do not seek an enhanced role for governments.  It is ICANN's
> responsibility to manage the Domain Name system.  Resellers acting as loose
> cannons do not serve this industry well, and should be brought under control.

		Please visit http://www.icannwatch.org
                        -->It's hot here.<--