Re: [ga] Some issues raised by today's FTC action

On 03:21 12/03/02, William X Walsh said:
>It's high time the FTC looked at alt.root registries and the claims they
>make in trying to solicit registrations, and establish some rules.

Yankee Doodle ....

I am afraid the FTC has nothing to do with the international data network
naming plan. If you want to address that question internationally please
write your GAC representative and/or call on your USNIC sales rep. Stuart
has called on Govs. The USG has delegated ".us" TLD Management to Neustar.
The US internal affairs are not the matter of this list.

This being said, I believe that it is time that someone more serious than
the ICANN starts helping a concensus about naming best practices, such as:

- names are free
- names are life long and result into a title
- registrations may be charged a small one shot fee
- access support (DNS services or others) may be charged.
- naming confusions are to be addressed by user panels
- so called TLDs are real/virtual network names. They should usually be
managed by the community of their paricipants (as per RFC 920).
- the ICANN network names server services (registration and operations)
should be equal to all the network names.

Jefsey